Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Sin: I Bought an iPhone





I committed the ultimate sin yesterday. I walked into an AT&T store and bought an iPhone. Yes, after blasting Apple, Steve Jobs and the iPhone for over a year, I succumbed to the temptation. I couldn't stand the hype and glitz any longer. With my knees shaking--and my declared perfect Android phone with me--I did it.

As I opened the package, my trembling hands picked it up, gazed at its glimmer, clutched it carefully as I inserted the USB connector to the phone and my MacBook Pro. Agonizing pains shot through my fingers as I started activating the device by agreeing to all of the legalese created by Apple's and AT&T's lawyers.

Stressed out with trepidation, I entered my credit card number and other information. Pausing just a moment, I clicked on "activate." Ah, the sin was nearly complete.

Apple's iTunes and AT&T's verification servers went into action, telling me on the screen what was happening and the emails I'd soon get.

The emails arrived one-by-one, each giving me just a bit more information on my sinful decision. I wondered: Is this a venial or mortal sin? Which had I committed? When moving on to Heaven or Hell, would Steve Jobs be there to greet me?

The final email arrived. ACTIVATION! The phone was now ready to use. Just as I wrote about Vista and "Windows It's Alive," the iPhone sprung to life with the latest software update. Strange icons beckoned me to push them, my home network discovered in an instant. The iPhone was now a MePhone.

It enveloped my senses as I started pushing buttons. Then the ultimate cool and awesome experience--synching with iTunes. Apple now knew about my sin. They had acquired a new victim (I mean customer).

I was late for choir practice. So I left the shimmering piece of glass in its cradle, firmly attached to my Mac. But I knew when I got home, IT would be there...

No comments: